Saturday, September 14, 2013

Waking up a Sleepwalker

Is it okay to wake a sleepwalker?  How?

Last night Brett was sleepwalking around the house and fell down the stairs!  Now he has a welt on
his back that looks like he was hit with a hot iron.  I had no idea that he was a sleepwalker, but talking with him this morning, it seems like he sleepwalks all the time - when I just thought he was getting up to use the rest room or get a glass of water.

So what now? I didn't even know what the symptoms were or if there was anything I should be doing to help - so I kicked up the laptop this morning to do some research.  Here's what I found:

1) It's okay to wake up a sleepwalker, but prepare yourself for a possible attack if you touch them
According to the Sleepwalking Foundation, "It is a common misconception that a sleepwalker should not be awakened. In fact, it can be quite dangerous not to wake a sleepwalker."  However, in the same article, it says that symptoms of sleepwalking include, "Violent attacks on the person trying to awaken the sleepwalker." Ummm... okay? So then, don't wake him? 

2) Instead of waking up a sleepwalker, direct them out of harm's way.
Webmd states that instead of trying to wake a sleepwalker, "Gently turn them around and make sure they return to the bedroom safely. If they resist, stay with them and help them avoid perilous objects and situations.

3) If you have to wake up a sleepwalker, make LOUD NOISES over touching them. 
Also stated in the Webmd article, "If you must awaken them, do so with loud noises rather than by shaking or touching them roughly."  That makes a lot of sense to me, especially with the fact that I don't want to be attacked by my loving husband.

Prevention is the best idea - but no article clearly states ways to prevent sleepwalking.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of answers around what causes it in the first place.  And since my husband is not a child (physically - ha!), it's not something he can simply outgrow, which is what some articles explain typically happens.

What I can do to help prevent sleepwalking, from what I gather:
  •  Limit his alcohol intake: Each article mentioned that depressants like alcohol could serve as triggers.
  • Make sure he gets more sleep: This is key, the only reason I didn't put it first on the list is because for my husband, number one is the most likely trigger.
  • Make sure it's not a side effect of any medication he's on: again, a mentioned trigger.
  • Help him start a regular exercise routine: now this one wasn't clearly stated, but I know for certain that it would help rid his body of toxins and help him sleep better.  
Hope this helps anyone starting to look for this info themselves.  We're going to work out today to start on a healthier and safer course for both of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment