Saturday, September 12, 2015

Every Great Couple Has a Great Story - Here's Ours (Brett's Edition)

The first time I saw her, I couldn't even believe how pretty she was.  I remember her asking me, "Is that your girlfriend?" but it was my twin sister.  I remember being a little upset but happy at the same time (why would she ask me something like that - obviously she doesn't know me, but I guess it means she's somewhat interested).

I knew she had to be interested after I went to lay down for a bit and she followed me upstairs.  After we made out for a little bit, my friend was pissed off about it, so that was basically the end of it.

Fast Forward

I was still young and cocky and still thought she was really hot when I saw her at the Upper Deck (our local bar) years later.  I was in no mood to even consider 'settling down' - I was living with my two buddies and we called our place the [______] palace, and I never even thought about having a girlfriend.  But I don't know - there was something about her that made me want to hang out with her - I needed to hang out with her.

I remember the whole, "You take my number. "No, you have to take mine."  I don't normally do that kind of stuff, but I just... I don't know why I did it to be honest.  It's just what I said at the time, and I guess it worked out.  Normally when a girl asks me to write down her number, I handed her my phone.  I have no idea why I refused to do it.  It was probably the sternest I've been with any girl to tell you the truth.  I also am kind of oblivious to those things - there have been times when girls put their tongue in my ear, and I had no idea they wanted to have sex with me.

We decided to do 'Rock paper scissors,' which was probably pretty stupid - what am I like two years old?  Rock paper scissors.  She took my number because she lost.  From that day on, Patty realized I always throw Rock. Good old Rock, nothing beats that.

She called me and left a voicemail while I was camping with my family in Atwood, Ohio. She texted me after that, and I told her I was out of town.  She didn't believe me, which either makes her nuts or... nuts.  Why wouldn't she believe me?  What did she think I was doing?  If I was blowing her off I would have said, "This isn't going to happen," and that would have been it.  I stayed up late, laying next to cousin, texting Patty and my family yelled at me for keeping the lights on.

I remember telling my Aunt Joan about it when I got back, and she listened to the voicemail she left. She told me I should call her back because she sounded like a nice girl and all that horseshit.

I called her.  We set something up for the following weekend.  I had two beers while I was getting ready.  My roommate, was pacing back and forth.  He asked what I was doing, and I told him I was going to the bar.  He asked if he could come and I said, "Yeah."  So I brought him.  I didn't actually know it was a date.

No comments:

Post a Comment